Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our Story


Happy Valentine’s Day! I thought I would share a little love on one of my favorite days.

Hubby and I met at work (as I find most couples do) I was a hostess and he worked the ToGo counter at Chili’s. Our posts were both located at the front of the restaurant and we were working the same shift for the first time. I was finishing my senior year of high school and he had just moved back from San Diego. It was a particularly slow morning and our breaks were scheduled for the same time. Out of boredom and with nowhere else to go I wandered over to the Starbucks across from Chili’s. I hate coffee, just the smell can make me gag, but it was the place to hang out. I grabbed a non-coffee beverage and sat down in a chair to wait out the next fifteen minutes. My hubby walked in just as I was sitting down. I noticed him, watched him wait in line and hoped he would come join me. He did and so did a very chatty coworker. We laughed and smiled at each other but never had the chance to speak. When we got back to work, hubby passed a note via another coworker. It was a small drawling of a chili. This continued for the next two hours. A small piece of paper passed with a picture or note (I still have them all!). We went back and forth and I found myself really liking him. I couldn’t put my finger on it but I didn’t want to leave work. On his last note was written his phone number. My heart was racing, my stomach turning, I REALLY liked this guy and I couldn’t wait to see him again.

I left work, went home, met up with some friends and went on and on about this hot guy from work. They told me to call him and see if he wanted to hang out. I did and we went on our first date that night (we both ditched our friends). We didn’t spend a day apart, until I left for Hawaii (my class trip) a month later. My Hubby drove me to the airport the morning I left and at the gate while sending me off whispered, “I love you” for the first time. I wanted to cry and I didn’t want to leave! I was in love and couldn’t stand the thought of being apart.

Seven months later we moved in together. Got our first dog, Abby. Then our second dog, Penny and were inseparable. I had never experienced anything like the relationship we had. He was my best friend and so much more. I was happy for what felt like the first time in my life. Two years later and two apartments later, we were sitting in our office talking and out of nowhere he got down on one knee and proposed! I said yes, we laughed I cried and then one week later he proposed again at my work with a stunning solitary diamond on a white gold band.  I said yes again, cried again and fell in love all over again.

The absolute BEST day of my life was our wedding day! I had planned everything myself and it was perfect, down to the last rose petal. I know for sure the happiness I felt that day will never be replicated and I don’t want it to. That’s what makes it so special, knowing that deep down in my heart the day I chose to tie my life to his was the most spectacular day of my life. No matter the fact that I was given a Vicodin that morning, which I am allergic to, and my sister-in-law had to pull over so I could throw-up on the way to the wedding. Or that someone wouldn’t let my Aunt come see me before the wedding, even though she was trying to bring me my Grandmother’s ring. Or that my little sister walked down the aisle a good five minutes before all the other bridesmaids and my poor hubby had thought I was running. Or any number of little things that I didn’t care about. In the end I was kissing my husband for the first time, toasting our marriage, dancing in his arms and announcing to the world that I was so in love with this amazing man and he picked me.  

1 comment: