Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fantasy



I love the definition of the word fantasy. It sums up in the most scrumptious way exactly what I love about this genre:
fantasy-imagination, especially when extravagant and unrestrained, the forming of mental images, especially wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualization. 
That is amazing! If I could live my life with unrestrained extravagance, life would be good. Since that isn’t going to happen anytime soon I choose to write it, read it and watch it any free moment I get. 

We all participate in the world of fantasy. Take a moment while sitting at your computer and picture this: your feet digging into the sand, each small grain slipping between your toes as you curl them deeper and deeper, your back rests against the fibers of your recently damp towel as your head lulls to the side. You see him emerge from the water and watch with a moment of lust as the water drips from his body soaking the sand with his every step. You let your body heat from the sun, building its warmth… until you ignite. You move toward the water watching the waves tumble to shore, longing for its cool release. You slowly enter and let the ocean cradle you in its waiting embrace. Your mind slips, you see the computer, hear a coworkers voice and you’re back. Reality…hits hard.  You do this at any time, any place. Magically transport yourself to somewhere that sets you free. We fantasize and daydream constantly and who can blame us with our daily grind weighing us down. The world of fantasy has given us an escape, it has allowed us to die and come back to life, to morph into an animal, to weald magic, to become a hero or princess, and if you choose become the villain. It has created a world that needs no rules or restrictions. Whatever your mind is capable of is true.

There are currently so many books, movies and TV shows that I can’t begin to name them all. My most recent favorite is ABC’s Once Upon A Time. I love what they have done with my childhood favorites. They are giving new life to old stories and making them real. The way that they have placed fairy tales into our world is so much fun to watch. My favorite part of fantasy is, believing that it can happen and not only happen but also live among us. That on any given day we can discover this magic and be let in on it’s incredible secret. I find daily that I transport myself somewhere amazing, if not just into the future. To the birth of our second child, or Henry’s first day of Kindergarten, to growing old with my husband. I have a hard time staying in the present, (a current problem with my hubby who wants me to live in the now and stop worrying about the future) I always want to know what is going to happen. My solution to staying grounded in my day-to-day life is by coming here and writing all my fantasies. Giving myself the opportunity to conceptualize my metal images and create something breathe taking, to start my own world and race, to make life what I want it to be.  

Just finished The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, as well as the Witch and Wizard series by James Patternson, both are amazing! 

1 comment:

  1. I have a problem living in the "here and now" also - I think the key is to learn how to appreciate the present while dreaming about the future. Now I just need to figure out how to do that! And Henry's first day of Kindergarten will be here before you know it ;)

    ReplyDelete